Friday, March 27, 2015

Wish I Was in Rhode Island

Day; 68. Almost like summer, a t-shirt would suffice. Temperature on outside kiln; 63

Another non-studio day...! This week feels like a complete wash.... Sometimes it is like that and the best thing to do is go with the flow. You cannot force creativity or control what others do, all I can do is adjust my attitude and seek alignment with Myself, capital M, instead of little m. In other words with the better part of myself, which I failed at today. Completely and utterly.
Spent all morning at the Surgery Center with Dave getting him fixed up. Nothing serious just an outpatient one-day procedure. But boy was I annoyed all morning, it was like a weasel had gotten ahold of my pant let and just would not let go. I could not shake the bad mood I was in until after I came home and crashed on the bed for an hour.
I think it had to do with the fact that I had had my wrist surgery at the same place and they made me wait 4 hours until 4 in the afternoon  until they finally began the procedure.  This was with no food or water since the night before. Consequently I was not only starving by the time they started, I was dehydrated as well. After asking them to call my husband so he would not assume something had gone wrong, they neglected to do so. So, I guess I was pissed off went I walked in.
This morning,  Dave instructed me to drop him off and go home to deal with dogs, wet clay... etc. But oh no, they WOULD NOT LET ME LEAVE THE BUILDING. I hadn't eaten breakfast, taken some meds I was on, or even brought a book or my Ipad, thinking I was going home and coming back to pick him up post-surgery, sometime in the afternoon. They made me sit there for 5 hours with absolutely nothing to do... for whatever reason this infuriated me! They should have warned the patient at the pre-op meeting to have the driver be prepared to camp out for several hours, but they did not. Argggggggg

Now that I have that off my chest we can go back to the subject at hand which is ceramics! I am an Instagram junky,  I admit it. I  look at it all day long curious what Eric is making in Copenhagen and wondering how the glazing went at Ridgeline Pottery in Tasmania......It makes me feel connected and part of a much bigger community when I can see what is going on in other studios across the planet! How incredible is that, the best use of the current technology I think, creating connections with otherwise isolated artists/humans.
For the last 3 days all my compatriots have been in Providence R.I. at the annual ceramics conference mentioned earlier and for which I sent one complete dinnerware set. This is a huge conference with everyone who is anyone in attendance, except me!! Feeling a little left out as I see all the pictures coming back all day long via Instragram documenting all the demonstrations, slide shows, exhibits, and images of La Mesa; 160 different place settings on one long giant table, one of which is Magpie Pottery. I would love to be in that room and see the best of the best in my field, how inspiring that would be! I have been seeing all the Iphone snaps however so that has been fun. Most of the work I recognize from either grad school or just my own explorations but I have yet to get a glimpse of my own place setting. I would love to see a random shot of  my work on Instagram!, just a stack of plates sitting pretty amongst all that other work. Might even e-mail a friend who is there and have him take a quick shot for me so I can see what Magpie looks like and then beg him to post it!

I absolutely love how the ceramic arts takes over the entire  town; there are  Airstreams converted into mobile ceramic galleries parked outside the conventions center,  cup swaps in the hallways, and my favorite, a pop-up ceramic sale  in room 204 at one of the nearby hotels. Didn't get into one of the official NCECA shows? , No problem, turn  your hotel room into an exhibit space and post/advertise on social media!! This is brilliant!  I love the young potters who are coming  out of art school these days; so ballsy, creative, tech savvyy. They are really questioning the traditional means of selling artwork and I think it is about time.
I just wish I could be there to buy a mug from Amanda Barr Pottery.....


As soon as Avra of Santa Fe Clay gets back from Providence I think I am going to talk to her about joining everyone in K.C. next year for the big NCECA shin-dig there...YES!


No comments:

Post a Comment