Monday, March 30, 2015

Back to the Studio

Day; 71. Sunny and warm. Definitely spring around here. Temperature on outside kiln; 65 degrees

Plum tree in full bloom..... Ahhhhh. Can't wait to buy some annuals but that doesn't happen until May 1st around here and that is a  month away, and 2 weeks before it is commonly suggested I do so ( possibility of a freeze until May 15th!?) Damn, guess I have to be patient. Not my strong suit....



 After what seems like weeks, but is only days, I am finally back to the studio with wet clay and making stuff today. I threw a dozen small one-serving sized bowls ( 1.5 pounds of clay) and a few larger ones. Rolled out a few milagros for my special order and received an order for, guess what?!, more bowls. I am starting to think seriously about just making bowls and cups for the clay fair and studio tour. It is all people seem to want and at least it is easy for me. I would really do just that  but after the 2nd day I would be bored silly so I will just make as many as I can stand to and then switch to plates...
 I love plates, I really think of them as clay "canvases", they are just so much easier to glaze than more 3d-type  forms with handles and feet, etc... trying to poor a liquid over a round form means it drips in all sorts of unwanted directions, while pouring glaze over plates means I can control where it goes much easier and so takes a lot less time. I do not have to use wax or laytex resist on plates as much as mugs for instance, trying to prevent one color from running all over another. Plates also lend themselves much more to the collaged images I love to use; they are really just little paintings one can also eat your dinner off of....

However, here is what is in store for tomorrow for myself and Pepe-the-shy-intern... you guessed it, an entire kiln-load of cups and bowls to glaze..... !! Crank up that espresso machine.....



No comments:

Post a Comment