Friday, March 20, 2015

Fun at The Party Store

Day; 62. Overcast, chilly and damp from yesterdays rain. Temperature on outside kiln; 45

Everything in the studio is so damp and wet as to be unworkable. Amazing what a little humidity will do. Slows everything wayyyyyyy down. So I decided to make an excursion into town and go to my favorite place; The Party Store! But not for the reason most assume, no, I was not in the market for some bunny ears or vampire teeth, rather they have the best selection of cheap plastic serving bowls and platters in Santa Fe.

  I know what you are thinking... Whatttt!!!?? after all this talk about hand-made ceramics and food tasting better, etc, etc.... I know, I know, but they are perfect if you are a potter and you want to make plaster molds; slime them up with some vaseline or spray with some Pam, mix up your hydro-cal plaster (much better and harder then Pottery Plaster #2,  BTW), and fill er' up. Voila! A beautiful bowl, platter or plate mold with endless ceramic possibilities. My old molds are getting dinged up and I needed some new ones. I also need multiples of some of them so I can make more than one square plate at a time.. So here is what my new toys look like..






Gosh, if I wasn't a potter I might think these toys look boring as compared to other people's toys,  but I am! so no problem!... Excited to roll out some gooey clay tomorrow and get Pepe-the-hard-working-intern cracking on plates, plates, and more plates. Square, round, ovals... salad plates, pasta plates, oval servers, etc.... oh boy, I'm so easy to please!

No comments:

Post a Comment