Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Glaze Purgatory- Day 1

Day; 83. An absolutely beautiful spring day. It just doesn't get any better. Really blue skies, only a slight breeze, and fairly warm. Ahhhh, New Mexico. The benefits of living at high altitude are apparent today. Temperature on outside kiln; 62 degrees

Remember that photo from yesterdays post? The one with the pile of bisqueware in it? Well, I have finally dove in, although it took me most of the day to surrender to it. First I taught a two-hour class, then I had to make cornbead, (procrastinating), then a trip to the library (procrastinating), then I had to throw a few canisters for my new groovy rough cork stoppers ( yet more procrastinating)..


Here are few finished ones from last week's firing. Aren't they cute? I love the rough top cork on the left, just seems to go with the wavy rim a bit more. The trick is to make the canisters a smidgen bigger than the cork so it fits snug after all the firings and the shrinkage  involved therein. I actually made them all a tad small and had to sand each one in order for the cork to fit. Of course I could calculate the shrinkage of this particular clay body, do the math, and calculate how much bigger I needed to make the canisters in order for the corks to fit, but where's the fun in that?! It's so much more exciting to eye it and guess?! Sometimes being a Pisces can be a liability and having a Virgo in the house is a plus....of course he would have had  them fitting perfectly together right  down to the centimeter....

Anyway, at 3pm I finally settled down to glazing and will be in that mode for the next week to come probably, have quite a few pots ready to go and more drying and ready for bisque later in the week.
Thank God Pepe-the-intern  is due tomorrow, although it means singing with the Girls will have to be missed this week, and maybe next as well. Perhaps it will all go smoothly and I will get ahead of myself/kiln-firings, does that ever happen!? Not usually before the Clay Fair and Studio Tour I'm afraid!

No comments:

Post a Comment