Thursday, February 12, 2015

The Cavalry has Arrived

Day; 30. Chilly still after a heavy wet snowstorm yesterday. Temperature on outside kiln; 29

Firings; 3rd and last firing for the decals. Cone 02 (2,043 degrees) 7.5 hours with 15 hours of cooling

Second day of severe tendonitis and I am officially going crazy....
Reminds me of the old Tom Waites song; "you never miss the east coast until you move out west. I never saw the moonlight until it shined off of your breast".

I never appreciated my right arm and shoulder until I needed it and couldn't  use it....
Lucky for me the cavalry arrived today in the form of Pepe, a senior at the Santa Fe University of Art and Design. Graduating seniors are required to do a 2-month internship in their field of concentration, so I agreed to take him in for a day per week, slave labor in exchange for 2 college credits. Works for me! Someone to load kiln, scrap shelves, mix glazes, move stuff around, load the truck!?
Very nice kid, so young and innocent!! A native of New Mexico from Hobbs who wants to be an artist. I will help him all I can, not that I know anything about making a living as an artist! I was tempted to discourage him and suggest a degree in natural resource management, specifically water, but I kept my mouth buttoned up.
We worked for 3 hours on some new vase designs and finally at 2:30 I flipped the switch...



Kodiak the Kiln God is on duty again tonight... good boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment