Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Collage is Good

Day; 11. Overcast, cold, snowy. Temperature on outside kiln; 33 degrees

Today was a teaching  day at Magpie Pottery, student Courtney Hall came over to learn about laser-toner transfers.



We had fun, I made some income, and  she learned something new, all without leaving the house. This is optimal! More of this please Universe!! What a soft, relaxing, warm and rewarding way to make a living. I hope to get more bookings like this from santafecreativetourism.org,   a great site with every variation of workshop available.
After talking, listening, cutting, and collaging for 2 hours, Courtney made these lovely plates...



About 5 years ago I came across Paul Wandless'  book, Image Transfer on Clay, and have been obsessed with this technique ever since. I have tried numerous ways over the years to create imagery on clay and this is by far the most fun and the most successful for me. Primarily this is due to the presence/inclusion  of serendipity (cannot be overrated!) in the process. I often do not plan what images I am going to use, rather I dump a big pile of them on the table and let random happenstance have it's way. I absolutely love working like this, the chance that something visually appealing will rise to the surface is always greater when I step out of the way. My favorite quote by earth artist Andy Goldsworthy goes something like this; "total control is the death of the work" Amen brother!
And here is the workshop audience, very curious about what is going on in the studio today..

No comments:

Post a Comment