Monday, February 2, 2015

Symmetry is Over-rated

Day; 6. Sunny, clear , warmer. Temperature on outside kiln; 33 degrees (almost tropical!)

After throwing cups and mugs for two days I'm bored. Or I have ADD or both, sometimes I wonder....
Now that my throwing fingers are all warmed up, I am abandoning my potter's wheel for my slab roller. At least for today. I mean all you get off the potter's wheel is something round and symmetrical, where's the fun in that? I wanna make something oblong, boat-shaped or square.... Webster's defines symmetry as; " exactly similar parts facing each other or around an axis." Synonyms include; conformity, regularity, uniformity. No wonder I don't want to throw, I'm a child of the 60's, we ran like hell from stuff like that!
No, the potter's wheel is not my favorite tool  today so I am a fickle friend and run off with someone else...
Sure, the slab roller only gives you, well, slabs of clay, but oh, wait until you see my mold collection. Every non-regular, anti-establishment shape an old hippie chick could ever want, it looks like this;



Don't these  just get the blood flowing?
And what if we combined it with this;



The sheer number of possibilities between the two staggers me for a spit second but then I recover, grabbing  some clay on my  way to the slab roller.....
.

No comments:

Post a Comment