Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Day 2 in Dantes Inferno..

Day; 14. Sunny, clear, cold. Temperature on outside kiln; 25

Arggggg, trying desperately to get into glazing-mode again today.... But first, blunting the discomfort with a blue corn/lavender donut at Whoo's  in Santa Fe.  I know, it sounds weird, blue corn mixed with lavender?  in a donut?? Trust me, it's so good even the thought of more glazing doesn't upset me. That's some powerful s*it!!

Anyway I'm on my way to Santa Fe Clay (another song!?) for supplies.  I need some new colors to play with and I know just the one I am lusting after; a pretty light Santa Fe turquoise. But frankly, I'm a late-comer to the beguiling charms of turquoise. It's just that it's everywhere in this town, and  it seems so, well, touristy. Every window, door, concho belt, hat band, etc...  is festooned in one of the myriad shades of turquoise. But it is pretty...



It may be that I am just looking for something to contrast with my real favorite color, lime green. Now there is a color for you; bright,cheerful, energetic, loud. I adore it. I'm  trying really hard not to put it on every single one of my pots but it's difficult.  And the best thing about lime green? It looks killer next to turquoise! My new favorite glaze combination...



But anyway, I'm wondering why this sudden passion for turquoise?  I mean I've been in Santa Fe for 16 years and have only recently succumbed to it's attractions. Why am I driving 20 miles round trip for one ounce of Ceramic Stain # 6364? It baffled me until I decided to consult with Jacob the Color Guy. Apparently the color turquoise is all about open communication and clarity of thought. And while it can also summon  creativity and inspiration, at the same time  it  soothes emotions and  helps bring about healing and stability. Ah,  no wonder I like it,  I could use some clarity, inspiration, and stability right now, and I'm not necessarily speaking of my life in the studio...   But here it is translated to cone 6 electric firing..                                          

                                                  
 Just makes you want to eat some ice cream, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment