Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Joining the 21st. Century

Day; 16. Sunny, warmer, no wind. Temperature on outside kiln; 38 degrees



One of the things I'm really proud of in my life right now is the Contemporary Clay Fair (CCF) While I'm glazing in the studio today (still?!) I am also preparing myself for a planning meeting later today in town. With the help of two friends, we are digitalizing the application process for the fair. After 10 years of  jurying the old fashion way, printed 3x5 photos, it feels good to finally get on-line and make it easier for ourselves. We have also purchased two Ipads and now use a card swiper for our credit card processing. This is all due to our tech wizard Jackie Gerstein. Without her I would have melted down a long time ago, right about last spring when I had hundreds of people show up for the show and couldn't get the old credit card terminal to work... Had to go to Harry's Roadhouse afterwards and order a really big cosmopolitan, cuz' their's are the best and the biggest. Anyway, little by little we join this century and begin planning for the next event at the end of April.

This all began in 2004 after another disappointing trip to Scottsdale for another  art festival. after which  I came home wondering what to do. I decided I would gather together all of my potter friends in Santa Fe and have our own spring show thank you very much. That first show was experimental and a bit disorganized but after a decade at this, we are now old pros. We regularly pull in  38-40k in sales for the 30 participating potters and average 1k customers attending for the two days. In a city saturated with art shows, openings, exhibits, etc.... this is quite a success and I am very proud of it. After the fair I personally write all the checks out to the individual artists and I can say that nothing gives me quite the satisfaction as disbursing funds to all the potters in town.
Let's hope the transition to digital media goes well and we continue to grow as individual artists and as a community of potters.

No comments:

Post a Comment