Friday, February 6, 2015

If It's Wednesday It Must Be Band Practice

Day; 25,  Sunny, incredibly beautiful, almost like spring in January. Temperature on outside kiln; 46



I'm feeling giddy and boastful, it is so beautiful in Santa Fe right now. Spring-like weather in the City Different with the east coast buried under 3 feet of snow.  Ahhhhh New Mexico! Yes we are at 7000 feet, but nicely southern when it comes to latitude. I lived on top of the Continental Divide for 10 years in Colorado, I know what a hard winter can be, and this is not it!!
Anyway, back in the studio this afternoon mixing up all my reclaim/recycled  clay again because I am too lazy to drive into town to buy it fresh.  Reclaim is a better product anyway; clay is like wine, the longer it  hangs  around the studio, the more plastic and easier to work with it becomes.  A little mold may be unslightly but it is very pliable and soft  now.  Potters would call it "long" as opposed to "short",  of which porcelain is famous for. I am singing and plunging as I go, mixing up a few hundred pounds for the next 3 days or so. After 2 hours of Girls Garage Band practice, I can't stop now, those darn melodies just get stuck in my head.    ..."We are all lost stars trying to light up the dark"...















It was good to start playing music again after a 3 week New Year's break for all of us. Although I don't know about anyone else,  I felt like I could hardly hold a pitch and rhythm. I haven't looked at our music for most of January. But I am a numbskull when it comes to music anyway so...
 But  what I  have come to realize lately however is that most folks just want to feel something and that if I sing with emotion, really connect with the song, than I can't go wrong. Except when I start out in the wrong key. But that's rare and I am learning to laugh at my mistakes. However  I think it's high time I go back to my mah-mhe-me-mo-moo's though.  After a few weeks of vocal exercises I can really tell a difference in my tone and ease of singing, but I just get lazy, it's a bit boring. Like playing scales on the piano to warm up the fingers...
Maybe next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment