Wednesday, October 7, 2015

The Definition of "Retail"

Day; 199. Cloudy and cool, an early Fall day....

Temperature on outside kiln; 58 degrees
Kiln Firings; none
Music in the studio;  The Potters Cast Podcast; How to Price Pots

After a very good band practice with Maggie and the Magpie's (17 songs rehearsed!?), I came home to finish the work I started yesterday and to consider my business practices around wholesaling and consignment, YET AGAIN!?
I am reconsidering this issue once more due to being approached by one of Santa Fe's premiere downtown hotels. Apparently they are relaunching their gift shop in  2016 and plan on carry a variety of local artists' work. The bottom line is they are interested in carrying my work but do not want to buy it outright but rather consign it in their new improved space.
But why is it that retailers are willing to buy at wholesale all their inventory EXCEPT ART? I've never understood that... How many times have shop owners extolled the virtues of my work and adamantly assured me  that they could sell it, but were not willing to take a chance and buy it outright for resell. If they are so sure they can sell it then why are they reluctant to purchase it? I DON'T GET IT!!!!
This is THE PREMIER hotel downtown and they can't buy  my pots? Don't they have to purchase all the other items that they sell?! Do they consign the soda pop, the newspapers, the magazine, the books, the maps? NOOOOO, they buy them and then resell them. That is the definition of a retailer.... Argggg, don't get me started... but I guess I'm  already on a rant... .
 Well, we will cuss and discuss and see what can be negotiated..... It might be a very good way to fund the slower winter months so I am willing to put "wholesaling" on the table. We will see if they bite.... 

No comments:

Post a Comment