Saturday, October 24, 2015

It's Hip to be Square...

Day; 210.  Cloudy most of the day and definitely chilly this morning.

Temperature on outside kiln 50 degrees
kiln firings; none
Music in the studio; Eric Halter on Spotify and the Potters Cast downloaded from Itunes

Wow, a Saturday in the studio! How strange it was to sleep in and not be selling ceramics somewhere,  I almost didn't know what to do with myself! But after a breakfast in town with my sister, I came home and had a very happy afternoon making lunch plates and square mugs/tumblers. I love to throw a very thick cylinder and then facet it into a sharp square. I love the crisp lines this creates instead of just paddling a round form into a soft square with a paddle. I think it works with my pieces  a lot better. I can then use my vintage fabric prints to embellish the surface without having to go around curves or corners, which is impossible without tearing or wrinkling the image. In any case,  I am stoked about these cups and mugs and can't wait to see what they look like finished....




No comments:

Post a Comment