Sunday, June 21, 2015

Happy Summer Solstice!

Day; 133. A hot and sunny Summer Solstice! Temperature on outside kiln; 88 degrees.

The longest day of the year! And after sleeping for 10 hours last night due to  yesterday's art market in 95 degree heat, I was up by 7:30 glazing pots in the studio. Well that never happens!!?? But I really want to do a glaze firing tomorrow and I have to teach all morning so had to get a head start on glazing today.

Lest I be a dull Jane/all work and no play kind of girl,  I am going to not one but two Solstice parties later today... I plan on wearing a summer dress, maybe some flowers in my hair, and drinking lots of cold beer. After that I will enjoy the long, long light and binge watch Scandal on Netflix, I am positively addicted!!! Sounds like a plan...

I just can't help but think back to the Summer Solstice of 1986, Santa Barbara, California.. I had just graduated from college at the advanced age of 29 the weekend before and then promptly married my college boyfriend on the 21st. of June. Santa Bararians celebrate the Solstice in style with a parade of misfits, wierdos, and pagans right up  State Street through the center of town. Many of our college friends came directly to the wedding from the parade still in costume, consequently our wedding was a colorful affair.  We had a Hawaiian themed luau in the gardens of the natural history museum complete with my father in a grass skirt. Somewhere I have a photo of that, if I ever find it I will insert here!! In lieu of that here is yours truly on Summer Solstice, 1986.. getting married!

A few days later  we departed for  Europe to meet my new husband JC's English family and to take  a month long bicycle trip through Belgium and France. But that and the next ten years are a whole other story..!!

Happy Summer Solstice!!


No comments:

Post a Comment