Saturday, June 20, 2015

Back in the Studio But Thinking of Home (part 3)

Day; 132. Very hot for the last day of spring! 95 in Santa Fe today! Temperature on outside kiln; 90 degrees

I got up at 5am today to be in the Railyard by 6am for the Artists Market. Beautiful hot summer day but sales were very soft. I was at the very end of the market again today, I will blame it on that. I had a lot of nice new work so I don't really get it. I did get a  new wholesale account on the east coast so I guess that is a good thing?! Very mixed feelings about wholesale, a hard way to make a living... My sister and an old friend showed up to help load everything back into the truck so that was a decided bonus in 95 degree weather. 

Anyway, this is my 3rd and last post reflecting back on last weekend and my amazing trip back through childhood and then on to Northern  California. Early last Saturday morning I caught a flight from Orange County up to Berkeley for my nephew Ari's high school graduation. Ari was born right after a devastating house fire which basically destroyed my brother Marc's home in the Berkeley hills. Ari Phoenix Beyeler rose from the ashes of that event and has been a blessing every since, it is hard to realize he is now a young man and will go on to college in the fall.

I was so  moved to witness how many people showed up for his graduation; not just family but the entire neighborhood, all the other families who live on El Camino and saw him grow up were there  for him.  There were his friends of course but also old babysitters, friends of his parents and of course a beautiful girlfriend. And his aunt from New Mexico.... It was a gigantic celebration and I was so very happy I had decided to make the trip. Marc and Elena have the perfect party house and go all out, they are masters at throwing a party... food, drink, candle-lit gardens, photo booth for pics with the graduate, you name it, they think of it..




His dear mother Elena, my sister-in-law, printed out every school picture of Ari since kindergarden and hung them in the stair well, much to Ari's chagrin...


I have a very clear memory of him at my wedding to Dave mixing margaritas at the age of 9....

He is a smart, handsome, charming, talented young man and I can't wait to see what he does with his life.  He is off to Europe this summer and then UC Santa Cruz in the fall..



Congratulations to the class of....






No comments:

Post a Comment