Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Big Easy

Day; 178. Sunny and warm yet again! Beautiful end of summer day...

Temperature on outside kiln;
Kiln Firings; none
Music in the studio; Marc Broussard, (www.marcbroussard.com) Described as Cajun Soul. Works for me! Beautiful song writing, even greater voice. Listen to him why don't cha... 

Back in the studio and to writing after two days gone... preparing for the Saturday market, doing the market (up at 5am), and recovering from the market seems to take all weekend??!! Oh well, keeps me out of trouble, sorta ....
Walking through the Farmers Market yesterday with  the smell of roasting green chilies in the air, ahhhh, nothing like it... reminds me summer is just about gone but also that Sept. is my favorite month in New Mexico, a fact I always forget in my bemoaning the passing of long summer days/evenings...


















A few other sights to behold on my walk back to my booth after parking the truck..





 Marigold stands for whatever catches your fancy.... 






The cutest Cadillac juice stand I have ever seen! The only Cadillace juice stand I have ever seen....









 After a long post-market afternoon nap, I decided to watch the series Treme, written and produced by the same guy who did the series The Wire. Lauded on NPR this week (part of the 10 anniversary of Hurricane Katrina), I decided to take Amy Goodmans advice and tune in.

 In 2005 when Hurricane Katrina hit the 9th ward of New Orleans and the levies subsequently failed, I was in Venice, Italy checking out Renaissance paintings, riding gondolas, eating pasta.... Consequently, I missed  the first couple of weeks of media coverage. I remember seeing the headlines in the local papers, something about New Orleans and a big storm, but I had to find an Italian teenager who spoke English and have him translate for me what was going on at home. By the time I returned to the States a couple of weeks later, the most urgent scenes had played themselves out and I had missed them. Anyway, Treme is a fairly accurate portrayal of the aftermath of the storm based in the neighborhood of the same name. The  main character is a dispossessed  trombone player, so you gotta love it... for the music if not for anything else. I didn't get beyond about the second episode before I nodded off, but I will try again tonight...

Just by coincidence, I have been listening to Marc Broussard for two days straight now, a wonderful musical find thanks to Spodify Radio. Dubbed as Cajun Soul, Marc is from Louisiana and so continues the focus on the Big Easy this weekend. I just love his kind of music; beautiful lyrics, lovely melodies, fantastic voice, not over-arranged or produced. Great toe-tapping tunes backed up with really good musicians.

Reminds me of the old, well not so old, 80's movie The Big Easy with Dennis Quaid and Ellen Barkin. Sure would be fun to see that again, and it fits right in with this  week's theme... gotta go now and see if Netflix or Amazon has it...

No comments:

Post a Comment