Thursday, August 13, 2015

Ooops!!

Day; 168. Sunny and warm, beautiful. Temperature on outside kiln; 90 degrees.

After glazing and getting together a kiln load of flotsam and jetsom from around the studio, I fired a large kiln  load of decal work the  day before yesterday. Last night I finally got to crack the kiln open and was not pleased to say the least. In fact,  if I could have kicked myself in my own butt, I would have. I made a stupid mistake and had to spend today and another firing fixing it...

I  had decided as I was loading the kiln two days ago that putting cone 10 and cone 6 glaze ware in the same decal firing would be ok, I could just firing at around cone 1 and all would be well, no glazes would come close to refluxing again.  But noooooo, I was sadly mistaken. The porcelain cone 10 plates from Pottery Barn were fine, the Magpie Pottery plates, cups, and vases, much less so. The firing was just a wee bit hot and all the decals just fired out! There was nothing left of the images except a faint whisper... Not what I was going for. I spent late last night and this morning reapplying  all the images on most of the work... All made just a little bit more fun by the fact that the power was out for most of the night so that  I couldn't sleep for worrying  if I would have electricity to fire today. It had to be today, tomorrow or tonight would be too late to get the work out and to market by Saturday. Argggg...

Then as I was cleaning the studio up,  I came across this picture of I think around 2007. And I realized that it can be worse, your entire booth can get destroyed  along with all the work in it during a show. Suddenly I felt better. Whats an extra morning, a higher electric bill, a few more sheets of expensive decal paper? I mean at least a microburst has not ripped through your EZ-Up (and 39 others) and taken out a month's worth of work. Ahhh, I'm truly feeling better now....


No comments:

Post a Comment