Friday, August 21, 2015

I Hate Pricing

Day; 174. Sunny and warm this morning,  without the feeling of fall in the air, back to summer! Quick but violent wind/rain storm in the afternoon.

Temperature on outside kiln, 82 degrees.
Firings; None
Music in the studio; Martin Sexton, singer/songwriter.

What is it about putting a dollar value on our time that  is so difficult? I just don't quite know how to quantify, and then price,  either my work or my time... Does how much we value/not value ourselves, come through in the pricing our work? Is it really that tied to our relationship with self, or more just a stew of market forces?

Today, after putting it off for as long as possible, I had to just sit my ass down and get a pencil/paper/calculator and do some figurin'. As I usually undervalue everything I make, like most potters , I am trying so very hard not to do that this time around...

I have two projects on the table; 200 handmade tiles for an interior design firm (hotel renovation) and a 10-punch card for studio use by two students. Now, I ask you; how much does each one of these scenarios cost me? And how much do I charge the client? After costing out the clay, glaze materials, firings, the actually glazing of the tile, loading kilns, etc... not to mention my labor, where do I make the profit? I guess it is in my time, so I am really trying to be realistic and give myself plenty of time to complete each task. And then how much am I per hour? The same as teaching? More? Less? You see my dilemma... I think I hate to cost everything out because then I have to face the fact that on any given day  after everything is said and done I probably make about .43 cents/hour. I just don't want to get that depressed, it would ruin the fun of making the tableware that I love to make....
So, I will not screw myself, I will not screw myself, I will not screw myself.... I will value my time and ask for what I need, I will value my time and ask for what I need... (repeat to self 100 times and then call the client...)

No comments:

Post a Comment