Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Spooning...

Day; 176. Sunny and hot. Breezy.
Temperature on outside kiln; 82 degrees.
Kiln firings; none
Music in the studio; Ryan Adams

After a breakfast B-day party for my friend Christine Drumright (bbgoochi.com)..,






















...I came home, dragged out the Big Orange Monster (pug mill) and recycled clay all morning. Dirty, nasty, physically demanding job, but someone has to do it. I truly look like a homeless female mudwrestler after the fact ( no photos on purpose!) but  I do love having fresh, soft, fully wedged clay at the ready. Makes a potter wanna make something!!
... Which I did for the rest of the afternoon, expect of course when I was napping... I threw some bottomless bowls so I could square them off and make decal application easier. It is hard to put a flat 2-d piece of paper onto a round 3-d  form  without it folding and wrinkling. Creating flat surface areas  makes decoration oh so much easier. They also  go with the square plates I make more so of course than round ones.

I also got on the spoon band wagon... seems  like every potter is making them these days, kinda fun I must admit. A new challenge is always welcome... Not as good as Katy Drijber's pinched  spoons and scoops    but I had fun making these miso/japanese-style spoons nonetheless. They will be fun to glaze I am sure.... If I ever get to that again. I might just make stuff out of clay forever and never glaze again, oh so tempting. The Durango Fall Arts Festival is only 3 weeks away however, so I doubt I will give up glazing entirely....But anyway here's the little cuties I made today...




No comments:

Post a Comment