Thursday, March 17, 2016

Start Where You Are... With Cups!

Day: 263. Sunny and warm. But breeeeezyyyyyy

Temperature on outside kiln; 62 degrees
kiln firings; none
music in the studio; All Things Considered on NPR

Another entire week has gone by... I am not being very consistent with my postings. At this rate 365 Days in A Ceramics Studio blog is going to take me two years instead of one. I still have 100 days to go and it is March of the second year... !! Ah well, at least I am still at it!!

Last week got eaten up by the Rio Grande Spring Show and my  participation in it.. I spent 4 days in the Duke City hunkered down either in my booth or in my cozy hotel room on Central Ave. While the show was well attended I couldn't sell a plate or bowl to save my life!! I sold exactly 2 of each, which is really, really pathetic considering I sat there for 3 days! I did however sell lots of cups and earrings, as well as buttons, not exactly big ticket items! I consequently went home with about half of what I have historically made as this show. It puzzled me...  I felt happy to be there, proud of the work, and made sure I put out a good welcoming vibe to all customers... And my booth looked great...

Well, I have been putting a lot of energy into doing other things in my life besides shows.. maybe that has something to do with it... I also have plenty of inventory for the next REALLY BIG  shows; the spring Contemporary Clay Fair,  and the most important/successful  show, the Eldorado Studio Tour, so maybe it is as it should be...  I also am going to Boulder in a few weeks so having some inventory already made up and ready to go is a good thing..
 There is just the small matter of my FEDERAL INCOME TAXES which are due in a month and which I usually pay for with this Rio Grande show, not this year!? Hmmm, the Universe must have some other plan for me and my taxes and I anxiously await notification of what that might be...can't wait to find out how it will all with orchestrated.... !!

In the meantime, I started again in the studio today with wet work after going to the clay store and getting some fresh, soft, white stoneware, ahhhhhh!! And I started again where I always do, with, you guessed it, CUPS!!...






Love the square ones with the darted foot!! More tomorrow... having fun hand-building after a lot of wheel-throwing...

No comments:

Post a Comment